This is a comprehensive guide to Palace of Versailles tickets, their prices, discounts and free entry.
We will take you through the various Palace of Versailles tickets and propose our recommendation – you can buy the ticket that suits you best.
More than 10 Million tourists visit Palace of Versailles every year – and that’s a lot of crowd. We will guide you on how you can skip the lines and avoid the crowd during your Palace of Versailles visit.
Things to know before booking tickets for Versailles Palace
1. Palace of Versailles is open from 9 am to 6.30 pm and last entry is at 6 pm
2. Palace of Versailles is closed on Mondays.
3. Tuesday is a bad day to go to Palace of Versailles because Louvre Museum is closed, and a lot of the crowd ends up in Versailles.
4. Weekends are also crowded at Versailles Palace
5. Entry to the Versailles Park and Versailles Gardens is free for all. Except during Musical Fountains Shows and Musical Gardens.
6. Audio guide is free for all visitors. You don’t have to pay, as you would have done at Louvre Museum.
7. The Palace of Versailles Audio Guide is available in the following languages – English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Polish, Russian, Mandarin Chinese, Japanese and Korean
8. The Versailles Palace is huge, so starting as early as 9 am gives you an added advantage
9. Photography without flash is permitted inside the Palace rooms. However, selfie sticks are prohibited.
10. Pickpockets are aplenty both inside and outside the Versailles Palace. Be watchful of your belongings.
11. While roaming around the Palace, visit the washrooms whenever you see one – for there aren’t many.
12. Palace of Versailles is a wheelchair accessible Paris attraction
13. There are two queues at Palace of Versailles – the line at the ticketing counter to buy tickets (this is called Entrance B) and the line at the security check (Entrance A)
14. When you buy online tickets, you avoid the first line (and save yourself 60 to 90 minutes depending on the day of the week and season) but you still must stand in the line for security check
15. When you buy ‘Skip the Line’ tickets, you are merged at the beginning of the security check line. Thus, saving yourself anywhere from 2 to 3 hours, depending on the season.
Types of Palace of Versailles tickets
If you are planning to visit Versailles Palace, the number of ticket options available can be baffling.
Even for tourists who are visiting the Palace a second time, the numerous Palace of Versailles tickets are confusing.
That’s why our experts have gone through them all and selected the best five options, which are mentioned below.
These online Palace of Versailles tickets cater to all kinds of tourists.
1. Palace of Versailles tickets – Access all areas with Audio guide
This ticket costs 20 Euros (23.56 USD) and provides you full access to the Palace of Versailles.
This ticket is free for tourists below 18 years of age and European Union residents below 26 years of age.
With this ticket, you can enter all the below-listed attractions.
– The Palace (with the audio guide)
– The Trianon Palace
– Marie-Antoinette’s Estate
– The Versailles Gardens and the Park
– The Coach Gallery
– The ongoing temporary exhibitions
To navigate between them you can use the audio guide, which comes free.
This Versailles ticket can be booked only for visits on Wednesdays or Thursdays. On other days, the Fountain Shows or Musical Gardens are scheduled and the ticket price is hiked.
What this ticket doesn’t include: This ticket doesn’t get you access to the night shows. And you don’t get access to the Gardens on the days when Fountain Shows or Musical Gardens are on.
Cancellation: Cancellations are not possible for this ticket.
2. Palace of Versailles tickets – Access all areas + Fountain Shows or Musical Gardens
This Versailles ticket costs 27 Euros (31.81 USD) and gives you complete access to the Royal Versailles Palace.
This entry is free for kids below 6 years of age. Everybody else needs to purchase a ticket.
You can visit any attraction in the Versailles Estate using the free audio guide provided.
Besides the Palace, this ticket also provides you access to the Fountains Show or the Musical gardens. Whichever is scheduled for the day of your visit.
During Parisian summer – from 27 March to 30 October – Musical Fountains shows and the Musical Gardens become additional attractions at the Palace of Versailles.
Since these shows are planned only on certain days, you can book this ticket only if you plan to visit Versailles on a Tuesday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
What is Fountains Show at Versailles?
On the dates specified below, the fountains at Versailles spout water to the rhythm of the music.
Like a musical fountain show.
Usually, these musical displays start from 10 am and last until 7 pm. On a few days, they may end early.
As part of the Fountains show, you can also see what is known as ‘Water Displays.’
These happen at the three major fountains at Versailles – Mirror Fountain, Water Theatre Grove, and the Neptune fountain.
These ‘Water Displays’ also start at 10 am and go on until 7 pm. Usually, they last for 10-15 minutes and hence keep getting repeated for the tourists.
What days/dates are Fountain Shows scheduled?
These Fountain shows at Versailles are scheduled on Saturdays and Sundays from 31 March to 28 October 2018.
They are also planned on Tuesdays from 22 May to 26 June 2018 as well as on some additional dates (Friday 30 March, Tuesday 8 May, Thursday 10 May, Wednesday 15 August).
What is Musical Gardens show at Versailles?
The Musical Garden show at Versailles is when you explore the French-style formal gardens designed by André Le Nôtre while listening to music.
Musical displays start at 10 am and go on until 7 pm. On a few days, they may end early.
What days/dates is Musical Gardens scheduled?
The Musical Gardens are scheduled for all Tuesdays from 27 March to 15 May (except Tuesday 1 May and Tuesday 8 May).
And then from 3 July to 30 October 2018, as well as Fridays from 6 April to 26 October 2018.
Cancellation: Once booked, these tickets are not cancelable.
3. Palace of Versailles tickets – Palace Entrance & Audio Guide
This ticket costs 18 Euros (21.21 USD) and you can enter all the below-listed attractions.
– The Versailles Palace (with the audio guide)
– The Versailles Gardens and the Park*
– The Coach Gallery
– The ongoing temporary exhibitions
This ticket provides full access to the Palace of Versailles. Well, almost.
This Versailles ticket is free for travelers below 18 years of age and European Union residents below 26 years of age.
What this ticket doesn’t include: This ticket doesn’t get you access to The Trianon Palace and Queen Marie-Antoinette’s Estate.
*You don’t get access to the Gardens on the days when Fountain Shows or Musical Gardens are on – which are mostly Tuesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays.
Cancellation: These tickets can’t be canceled.
4. Skip the Line, Guided tour tickets for Palace of Versailles
This ticket costs 38 Euros (44.77 USD) and provides you with the three important things you need to make your visit to Versailles memorable –
1. Access to the whole Versailles Palace
2. A human guide to give you inside stories
3. Skip the Line access, so you don’t waste your time waiting in the line
This ticket is free for kids 5 years and below.
Kids between 6 and 17 get a discounted price of 20 Euros (23.60 USD) for this ticket.
It will be your guide’s responsibility to show you the absolute best of the world’s largest royal domain. And enthrall you with history of Versailles Palace and its inhabitants.
The duration of this tour by the live guide is approximately 75 minutes. After that, you are free to roam around on your own.
You can buy this ticket on all days except on Monday when the Versailles Palace is closed.
Important: For the tour to start on time, you need to report to the Guidatours office in Versailles well ahead. No refunds or reschedules are possible in case of late arrivals.
What this ticket doesn’t include: This ticket doesn’t include your transport from Paris to Versailles and back. That’s something you must handle yourself.
This ticket doesn’t get you access to the Gardens on the days when Fountain Shows or Musical Gardens are on – which are mostly Tuesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays.
However, for a nominal fee, you can buy the access at the venue.
Cancellations: You can cancel these Versailles tickets up to 72 hours before your visit date.
5. Skip the Line, Guided tour tickets for Palace of Versailles + Transport from Paris
This ticket is for those who prefer luxury and don’t mind spending extra for the best possible experience.
For those who would love to take a bus tour to Versailles, this is the perfect option.
This Skip the Line, Palace of Versailles ticket costs 98 Euros (115.46 USD) because it includes transportation from Paris and back.
While it is free for kids 5 years and below, kids between 6 and 17 get a discounted price of 74 Euros (87.30 USD) for this ticket.
The tour starts at 8:15 am and returns at 4:45 pm. The whole trip from Paris to Versailles and back takes around 8 hours.
It is best to be at the departure point at – Paris Trip, 41 Avenue de la Bourdonnais, 75007 Paris, France – by 8 am.
This departure point is centrally located. Else you can always take the Metro, Line 8 to École Militaire and then walk for approximately 8 minutes to reach the location.
At the Palace of Versailles, you will get a 2-hour guided tour by a licensed guide.
You can buy this online ticket if your planned trip to Versailles is on Tuesday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
Cancellations: You can cancel these Palace of Versailles tickets up to 72 hours before your visit date.
Palace of Versailles ticket discounts
If you meet certain conditions you qualify for Versailles Palace discounts.
You get a discount on your tickets if you are a –
1. Subscriber or ticket holders for the Arras Musée des Beaux-Arts
2. Member of societies of friends of national museums
3. Holder of large family reduction cards
4. Visitor paying the admission fee with a Chèques-Vacances
The discount varies depending on the ticket you buy.
For instance, if you qualify, you will get a 5 Euro (5.9 USD) discount on the 18 Euro Palace entrance ticket mentioned above.
Unfortunately, these discounts can only be availed after showing an ID at the ticketing counter at the Palace of Versailles. These discounted Versailles tickets can’t be booked online.
Palace of Versailles free entry
If you are in Paris between the months of November to March, you can avail the free Sunday offer at Palace of Versailles.
During this period, on the first Sunday of every month admission to the Estate of Versailles is free.
However, you also qualify for free entry into Versailles if you are –
1. Less than 18 years old
2. A European Union resident under 26 years
3. A School going kid
4. A French teacher with a Pass education
5. A Student of Art School
6. A Disabled person or a person accompanying them
7. A job seeker in France
8. A Recipient of minimum Social benefits (proof needs to be dated within last 6 months)
If you qualify for free admission, there is no need to buy tickets.
Go directly to Entrance A in the Dufour Pavilion, with proof of your right to free entry and proof of identity.
How to use your online tickets at Versailles Palace
Online tickets for Versailles are very easy to book and use.
Here is how you can use your online tickets at Palace of Versailles –
Regular Versailles tickets (Option 1, 2 & 3 above)
Step 1: Once you book these tickets, within the next ten minutes your Versailles ticket will be emailed to you. You will also receive an SMS on your mobile
Step 2: Reach the Palace of Versailles, ignore the line at the ticketing counter, and show your smartphone tickets at Entrance ‘A’
Step 3: Get your security check done, and enter the Palace of Versailles
‘Skip the Line’ Versailles tickets (Option 4 & 5 above)
Step 1: While booking your ‘Skip the Line’ Versailles ticket, choose your preferred time slot.
Step 2: To enter the Palace of Versailles you need to be at the venue within 30 minutes of the time mentioned on your ticket. Be there on time! If you are booking the ‘Skip The Line’ ticket with transport, don’t worry for the tour operator will take care of the punctuality part.
Step 3: The Guide takes you (and rest of the group) to the ‘Skip The Line’ entrance where you show your smartphone ticket and enter
Step 4: You get merged at the front of the security check line so that you don’t have to wait in line. Once the check is done, you enter the Versailles Palace
Where to buy Palace of Versailles tickets?
Palace of Versailles tickets can be bought at two places.
The first of course is the Ticket Office which is located around the Courtyard of Honor, at Palace of Versailles.
However, you must stand in long lines if you decided to buy the tickets at the venue.
Check out some of the photographs below:
This is why, we think the second option is the better option – buy your tickets online.
So which ticket option do you want to buy?