Travel insurance is necessary. When it comes of cruise, having a travel insurance plan becomes doubly crucial.
Cruise holidays are far different from usual holidays. It is more fun because you get to spend a lot of time in a closed, controlled and yet amazing environment.
However, a cruise holiday also involves a little more risk than a normal holiday. That’s why we recommend NOT going on a cruise without cruise travel insurance.
Be it Caribbean, Mediterranean, Australia, Istanbul, or around the world cruise, a right travel insurance is highly recommended.
Why you need cruise travel insurance?
As you may know having an umbrella in rainy season is always better than running for a shelter when it rains.
To help you understand the importance of cruise insurance, let us ask you a few questions. Why don’t you try answering them –
- You miss your cruise due to bad weather, civil disorder, some accident or any reason. Who will pay for your cancellation?
- If you lost your luggage or it gets delayed, who will pay for it?
- When you are on cruise and some emergency happens and you need to stop your journey middle way and run for the nearest medical facility. Who will pay this additional and unplanned expense?
- At the last minute you cruise got cancelled. Who will bear your loss?
- Your passport got stolen, who will cover the risk?
If your answer for above question is ‘cruise’ or ‘cruise company’, forget about it. Your cruise will not cover any of the above risks.
These are just a sampling of the numerous scenarios possible while you are planning or enjoying your cruise. There are many more risks involved in cruise travel.
To cover yourself and your family from all the risk involved in a cruise trip, you need a smart and cheap cruise travel insurance plan.
Cruise travel insurance plans
There are lots of cruise travel insurance available in the market. All you need to do is research and plan before buying the one that’s most suitable for you.
Just be aware that most cruise travel insurance plans come with time limits for the duration of each holiday, usually between 30 and 60 days.
The nature of your cruise itinerary – for example are you visiting lots of countries – decide the coverage type.
Let us look at the cruise travel insurance options any cruiser has –
1. Economy Plan
This cruise insurance plan is best for travelers who are traveling to New Zealand, South West Pacific, Norfolk Island and domestic cruise around Australia. This cruise plan is light on pocket and covers what is essential.
Benefit: This cruise plan covers overseas medical and dental expenses incurred during the cruise. It also covers any medical expenses incurred during your cruise journey, whether you were on cruise or on land. Cancellation cost, additional accommodation cost, loss or theft of baggage, theft of passport, are covered in this cruise insurance plan.
2. Basic plan
Basic plan is almost like Economy plan but it is not limited to few countries only. You can buy this cruise insurance plan for domestic and international cruise with coverage for emergency medical care.
Benefit: This cruise insurance plan covers medical emergency up to $10,000. Loss and damage of baggage, emergency medical transportation, trip cancellation & interruption is also covered in this plan. Do note reason of cancellation of your trip should be listed in your cruise insurance plan.
3. Classic Plan
Classic plan is one of the most popular cruise insurance plans because it gives you more coverage under trip cancellation & interruption. This plan is true value for money and gives you a worry-free cruise trip experience.
Benefit: True to its name Classic cruise insurance plan is a real classic. Emergency medical conditions including existing medical conditions are covered in this plan. Best thing about Classic cruise insurance is coverage of reasons for trip cancellation & interruption.
- Delay or cancellation of trip due to poor weather conditions, strike, mechanical problems are covered in this cruise insurance plan
- If your travel got delayed due to civil disorder, it is a covered reason of cancellation
- Unfortunately, if some family member dies and you must cancel your cruise, you are covered
- If your destination was recently affected by a natural disaster and you need to cancel your cruise, this cruise travel insurance will cover your expenses
- If unfortunately, there was a terrorist attack at your cruise destination (and you are scheduled to arrive within 30 days) your trip cancellation will be covered in this plan
4. Classic Plan with Trip Plus
This cruise insurance plan is best if you are going on a family vacation and cruising with your family.
Benefits: This plan offers you all the benefits of Classic Plan and you will get the maximum coverage possible. Best thing about this plan is kids of 17 and under are covered in this plan for free if they are traveling with their parents or grandparents.
1. Best advice to buy cheap and best travel insurance plans
2. Got pre-existing medical condition? Tips to get travel insurance plan
3. Travelling with family? Get travel insurance for whole family
4. Find out what your travel insurance doesn’t cover
5. Travel insurance plans for travelers aged 65